Monday, June 7, 2010

Marriage Monday ~ Still Working on Lower my Expectations!

I participate in Marriage Mondays every week (or at least try). I found Marriage Monday on Come Have a Peace! I encourage all my blog friends to do the same!


This past weekend did not have a great start. During the middle of last week Philip told me it was mandatory that all the soldiers in his company attend the FRG (Family Readiness Group) meeting on Friday. I don't attend FRG meetings anymore since Philip is home and not deployed. On Friday the FRG meeting was held at the bowling alley. One of the perks to attending the FRG meeting was one free game of bowling. The girls, Philip and I went. I was a little upset while we where there. Philip was off handling business with soldiers and the girls and I were off bowling by ourselves. I felt like Philip was totally ignoring me. I was upset. I really didn't want to be there in the first place. I had to be home by 5pm because we planned a Going Away Party at our house for Joslyns good friend (the party started at 5:30). So Philip and I left the bowling alley upset at one another. I didn't talk to Philip the rest of the night. I woke up Saturday morning and after getting breakfast to all the girls I checked facebook. I remembered that I had RSVPed to a friends baby shower that had already started about 1 hour ago, and I didn't even have a present yet! I woke Philip up and told him he would have to watch Moriah because I had to go to this baby shower for about 1 hour. I quickly got dressed, went to the PX, bought the gift and went to the shower. I was late, but I'm glad I was able to visit with some ladies from the chapel and give Keeley her gift. (While I was at the shower I received another invite to a birthday party on Thursday.) I came back home and I was still a little upset with Philip from the evening before. The Volksfest (carnival) is in town and it's right across the street from our neighborhood. I began getting the girls ready to go to the Volksfest and Philip asked if he could go with us. I told him yes, but I was still upset with him about the bowling alley. He told me he was sorry. He just had to take care of somethings since he is the acting platoon sergeant right now. I really do need to work on lowering my expectations so I won't set myself up for disappointment. If my expectations are lowered then when Philip does show lots of attention to me I will be pleasantly surprised!
We enjoyed the Volksfest so much on Saturday! Joslyn had 2 friends come to the carnival with us. Her best friend Milla was leaving Sunday and moving back to the states. This was a great way for Joslyn and Milla to spend their last day together! I'm so glad we all went and had such a blast!

Sunday we went to the Wildlife Park here in Schweinfurt. It is similar to a zoo, but on a much, much smaller scale and it's free. There is a little water park there too. We packed a cooler and some snacks and spent Sunday afternoon at the Wildlife Park. We ended up having a really REALLY great, AWESOME weekend!

2 comments:

Kela said...

Hi Denise!! Glad to meet you. We must have been missing each other here on Marriage Mondays.

You have a beautiful family!
I'm very glad that you two worked it out. I know that scene (feeling ignored) all too well.

Have a happy and blessed week!!

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Hi Denise, I'm glad you had a good time at the park. Those "good times" can help to heal the hard times. I don't think we ever get finished needing to extend grace to each other in marriage and needing to try to ask God to help us understand our husband's perspectives. That's what made me write today about "Getting Through to the Man from Timbuktu." ;) Prayer, Denise, much prayer. :) Blessings on this Marriage Monday,
Julie