Monday, June 21, 2010

Marriage Monday- Appreciating Blessings in my Marriage



Today is Marriage Monday. A great time to reflect on my marriage- its strengths and weaknesses.
I just finished reading Mrs. Julie's blog Come Have A Peace. The post today is titled Facebook & Faithfulness
As I read this post I was reminded about the social network site, Myspace.(It is very similar to facebook.) My husband and I had 2 different accounts on Myspace. In 2008 I found messages to my husband from other women in his inbox. I immediately became insecure. At the time that I found the messages Philip was having real struggles within himself, work and our marriage. This began a string of bad decisions Philip was making through out the summer of 2008. (My stomach gets all knotted up just thinking about that summer, and all the bad, irresponsible decisions Philip made) Now I can appreciate that time of struggle in my marriage. The summer of 2008 brought me so, so much closer to God and my relationship with Christ was so strong! I prayed AT LEAST twice a day for my marriage and my husband. I prayed more for Philip than I prayed for my kids, myself or parents!
I have recently deleted the Myspace account I had for a few years. I am now on facebook and have been for a while. Philip still has his account with Myspace, but very rarely signs into his account. I always pray that Philip will not open an account with facebook for the exact reasons stated in Facebook and Faithfulness.
I have experienced a lot while Philip was an active user on Myspace. I now see how many people that Philip and I both know from school or past encounters. I think I would become very insecure if Philip had a facebook account (still praying about my insecurities). I praise God that Philip does not show any interest in signing up for facebook. I pray he will never have interest in any other social network sites again! I trust Philip, I just don't trust the intentions of all women out there.
Well I am going to thank God for the many blessing he has blessed my marriage with. During the summer of 2008 I honestly thought my prayers were going unheard. I would have never imagined the tremendous changes in Philip were possible. How crazy was I! It was very, very hard for me to see anything during the "storm" in my marriage. The storm has since past (it was about a 4 month long "storm")and I can see how AWESOME God was, is and always will be! I know I have blogged about the many positive changes in Philip and in his personality.
Now every time it begins to even slightly drizzle on our marriage- little arguments here and there, I go STRAIGHT to God in prayer! I know everything and anything is possible for God and I am a witness to his amazing, awesome, mighty power! I encourage you to pray for your husband daily! Never give up on praying for him. It may take a few weeks before you see how God answers your prayer, maybe 4 months, maybe longer. Just be fervent, persistent, and faithful as you cover your husband in prayer. Recruit all your "Prayer Warriors" to help you lift your husband up in prayer! Your prayers will be answered. I need to remind myself of this too!
A good book to help you through storms in your marriage is The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian. I took this book everywhere I went! I still take this book with me where ever I go (when I travel)
Have a wonderful day as you reflect on your Marriage this Monday!

5 comments:

Kela said...

Great word! I have my copy of Power of a Praying Wife in front of me right now. I'm doing SHMILY on facebook right now and we are praying these prayers over our husbands for the month of June.
God IS so faithful to answer us. The fervent prayers of a righteous man avails much!!

Keep on prayin' girl. Pray for me and mine and I'll pray for you and yours! ;)

Samantha said...

Like you, my husband & I both deleted our MySpace accounts a while ago. Now, we only have Facebook accounts. We both have each others passwords, and can look at each other's Facebook pages any time. This keeps us accountable to one another. Also to be accountable with our internet usage, we use a Christian internet filter called Safe Eyes -http://www.internetsafety.com. It's awesome!

Denise said...

Kela,
Thank you so much for encouraging me! I have tried to find SHMILY on facebook, but I haven't had any luck. Will you send a friend suggestion to me? I would really like to join the group! My full name on facebook is, Denise Jackson Windhorst. Thanks! I most certainly pray for your marriage and thank you so much for being one of my prayers Warriors and praying for my marriage too! I am so greatful! (I will post this comment on your blog, just to be sure you get this ;)

Denise said...

Samantha,
Thank you so much for the awesome info!! I will most certainly have to check it out! Sounds like a really awesome tool for the internet! Thank you Samantha! I am going to post this comment on your blog too, just to be sure that you get this!

Traci Michele said...

Amen! Now every time it begins to even slightly drizzle on our marriage- little arguments here and there, I go STRAIGHT to God in prayer! I know everything and anything is possible for God and I am a witness to his amazing, awesome, mighty power!

Love that! Thank you.